Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway Certified Host Business Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway Certified Host Business.
Your support of the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad (HTUR) initiative will help residents and visitors have an outstanding time on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
As a Certified Host Business you and your employees represent Maryland’s welcoming culture of hospitality.
What do I need to do to become a Certified Host Business for the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway?
- You and your employees must complete the 30-minute Certified Host training including two short videos and review of background material.
- Promote the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway by one or more of the following:
• Display and distribute HTUR Byway maps and driving guides.
• Wear “Ask Me About” HTUR buttons.
• Talk to customers about the byway and other wonderful experiences in the region—where to visit, eat, sleep, and shop.
- Display a HTUR Certified Host Business decal at your business so customers can easily see it.
What are the Benefits of Being a Byway Certified Host Business?
- Increased exposure for your business with a listing on the VisitMaryland.org website (over 2.2 million visitors in 2016.)
- Iconed in the 2018 Destination Maryland, the official guide to Maryland state travel, as a certified host business. (350,000 distributed per year)
- Included in a list of HTUR Certified Host Businesses on the VisitMaryland.org website. List will also be distributed in all HTUR Visitor Information Kits, at Maryland Welcome Centers and appropriate county visitor centers.
- Our Tourism partners will offer similar opportunities and benefits on Visit Dorchester, Tour Caroline & Harriet Tubman Underground Byway.
What Kind of Training is Involved to become a Certified Host?
- Watch the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Scenic Byway promotional Video
- Review Materials in the HTUR Byway Certified Host Business Toolkit (below)
- Watch HTUR Byway Certified Business Training Video
- Once Steps 1-3 are complete, please fill out the form linked here.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway Certified Host Business Toolkit Contents:
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway
Explore the secret network of trails, waterways and safe houses used by enslaved people fleeing north to escape slavery.
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center
The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center immerses visitors in Tubman’s world through informative, evocative and emotive exhibits.
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Map and Guide
Map (pdf) and Guide (pdf) Digital guide.
- Audio guide
The audio guide brings to life stories of slavery and escape, cruelty and compassion. Soundtracks include dramatizations, storytelling, and commentary by experts, historians, and local community members. The guide is most effective when you download it and drive the byway.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Scenic Byway Audio Guide Options
- Certified Business Training Video
This video provides an overview of Harriet Tubman’s life, the Underground Railroad Scenic Byway and offers suggestions about how you can welcome travelers and help ensure a positive visitor experience.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway certified business training video
- Harriet Tubman Biography
Learn about the life and legacy of Harriet Tubman – freedom seeker, Underground Railroad conductor, abolitionist, suffragist, human rights activist.
Harriet Tubman Biography
- Myths & Facts
Kate Clifford Larson, author of Bound for the Promised Land: Harriet Tubman: Portrait of an American Hero, provides informations about the myths and facts surrounding Harriet Tubman’s life.
Harriet Tubman: Myths & Facts
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad/African-American Heritage Travel Itinerary
Explore the rich history and contributions of Maryland’s African Americans on this road trip from the Smithsonian National Museum of African-American History and Culture in Washington D.C. through Maryland’s Eastern Shore.