The Research Unit provides quantitative and qualitative research analysis to support OTD's mission of continued economic growth from the tourism industry, as well as broader programming support to DBED.
The main objectives of the research unit include:
- Provide benchmarks of the importance of the tourism, travel, leisure, hospitality and recreation industries to the state’s economy.
- Track and analyze Maryland and U.S. visitor volume, trip trends and visitor profiles.
- Assess the performance of the state’s tourism-related industries in order to benchmark Maryland against other states and the nation as a whole.
- Track performance and measure the effectiveness of the Maryland Office of Tourism programs to ensure the highest return on the State’s investment.
- Assist tourism industry partners and agencies on collaborative tourism research projects.